Monday, December 20, 2010

Greetings from Vancouver


Hi everyone, I am just loving my time in Vancouver. Everyone is just so friendly. Today I did a city tour. It was a conducted tour and there were only two of us on the tour me and this Englishman who was about my age. We went to Stanley park, to the Granville Markets,to an indoor plant conservatory with beautiful Christmas lights. I've never seen anything like it. Mum and Dad you would like it, very nice poinsettas. Tomorrow I am doing a day tour to the capilano suspension bridge and to Grouse Mountain. I did this last time when I was here, but this time there are Christmas lights and it is Christmas themed. There's snow up on the mountain and they give you snow boots and they have an ice skating pad so you can skate-pretty cool. Central heating is an interesting experience when I got in from dinner last night I felt cold in my hotel room so I turned on the little element heater. There was a boiler heater at the wall and half of it was a little warm so I went down to the reception to inquire about the wall heater. The guy came up but seemed he didn't know what the problem was. So I went to bed in my thermals and it wasn't until a couple of hours I was boiling. All shops are beautifully warm and cost. There is a nice restaurant wine bar two doors up from where I'm staying.

Facts from my tour

1 bedroom apartments cost half a millions dollars in downtown Vancouver.
They have laws for couples with children who own apartments in downtown. A child must have their own room at the age of 12, no sharing allowed.
The movie Jumanji was filmed at Shaughnessy heights, I went past the brick house.
On Robson St alone there are 16 Star Bucks coffee places-very popular here.
Yaletown is where Michael Buble -singer lives. Went past his apartment.

Just by observation every taxi I see is a Hybrid.
Christmas is all around cafes, restaurants, shops play Christmas music.
Gets light between 7:30-8:00am and gets dark at 4:30-5:00pm.




1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Joy.
Lovely to hear how you are going. Bit sad about no snow but it could still happen.
It is fine here today. Hope it lasts until Xmas as promised.
I have looked at Vancouver's sights on the internet and it seems to be a lovely city.
Lots of pics please.
Interesting you using an ipod touch to post from. Must find out more about that.

Love
Jay